Summary: Decorating is something a lot of people enjoy doing – and these days it is easier than ever to do so. Changing the look for a room can be done on a shoestring budget too – and great results are possible.
It is easy to redecorate a home and change the look of a room – if one is willing to do some of the work themselves. The first thing to remember is that one doesn’t have to spend a lot of money – refurbishing what is already in the home is the way to go. So what is involved in the process? How can one get a contemporary look for less?
Low Budget Redecorating:
One has to reconsider which room they want to do – or if it is the whole house. Here are things to do:
- Paint: This is the easiest way to change the look of a room. Pick a nice neutral color and paint the walls. This will freshen up the room – the next step is to deal with the furnishings.
- Furnishings: This includes simple things like bedding and upholstery for furniture. Enterprising homeowners can do a lot of the work themselves by stitching things like duvet covers for comforters and buy colorful cushions and completely change the look of a room – it is easy to update the home without having to spend a fortune on furniture.
- Furniture: In the case of furniture like beds, tables and armoires, there is no need to get rid of a piece. One can spend a little time or get a friend to help with sanding and painting a piece to get a brand new piece to go with the new look.
- Shopping around: Check out the local newspaper or online listings – there are great deals to be had. Many people attach photos of things they want to sell. This is a great way to find new pieces at a fraction of the cost.
- Multi-purpose furniture: Quite a few people may not have the space for the kind of furniture they would like to have – the best thing to do in such cases is to buy pieces which serve many functions – for instance an ottoman which would have storage space, double up as a table or can be used for seating as well.
- If possible, move the sofa away from a wall and put a console table with a few decorations on it. It will make the room look a lot bigger and bring more interest to a space.
- Another easy way is to do nice window coverings – use curtains to make the window look bigger.
- Remember not to put too many things on the wall – it can be distracting. Change pictures and wreaths often to reflect the seasons.